Winter School is an opportunity for struggling readers to receive high quality, intense intervention. Bellavista School is aware that there are an increasing number of struggling readers being schooled in the spirit of inclusion at mainstream schools. These children are enjoying all the benefits of the schooling environment and may even be excelling in their areas of strength, but their reading competency lags and is of concern to their teachers and parents. Not every struggling reader is a candidate for remedial education as a full time placement, but in the busyness of the school day, directed, focused intervention is not easily accommodated.
Bellavista is excited to be celebrating its 12th year implementing RAVE-O as a successful literacy and reading intervention. The school is pleased to respond to the needs of children in the Gauteng area by launching regular clinics, using RAVE-O as an intervention for children referred by their schools. Michelle Yudelowitz, head of the Winter School programme has personally engaged and attended the Summer Reading Clinic at TUFTS University, Boston, Mass, USA, the home of RAVE-O.
Who can be referred to Winter School?
Learners aged 8 – 11 years old who are identified as struggling readers, with or without standardised assessment. Please bear in mind that places are limited.
What is the Cost?
R 390.00 administration fee on submission of your application and R8 900,00 per learner for the full clinic, including materials, recreational activities, refreshments and assessment.
Who do I Contact?
What is the Process?
- Complete the application form, including all relevant information from previous assessments, teacher comments and academic reports.
- Pay the R390 administration fee via EFT.
- A member of staff will contact you to book an appointment for your child to be assessed prior to the intervention. At the same time they will book a parent interview, where you will receive feedback about the results of this assessment. In this meeting, a decision will be made about the suitability of Winter School for your child.
- Your child attends the Winter School.
- At the end, parents are invited to discuss the progress that has been made.